Re: Parental controls in Linux

On Sun, January 8, 2006 3:26 pm, WipeOut wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
>> WipeOut wrote:
>>

>>>The problem now is that he is getting far to wrapped up in looking at
>>>porn and not the innocent kind..
>>>
>>>Is there any parental control software for Linux available??
>>

>> Another way to come at this is to move the PC into an area that is
>> frequented by the rest of the family.  You could also proxy his http
>> connectivity transparently through another box and let him know
>> everything is logged.
>>

> The PC is already in a fairly "public" place but there are still lots of
> times when nobody is around and thats when he is diving into the porn
> sites..
>
>> Ultimately though with USB memory sticks, myspace pr0n and so on
>> nannying software is a losing proposition.
>>
>> -Andy
>>

> Yes, I know what you are saying but I think its still worth trying
> attempt some control rather than banning him from the internet which
> would be a shame because the internet is a great place to learn about
> things... other than hard core sex..

 You might try building an IPCop firewall with Dan's Guardian added to it.
IPCop is a great firewall (I use it at home and at my office) and I've
heard that Dan's Guardian is a pretty effective proxy that will block
most porn sites. Might take some attention to keep it up to date, but
it'd be worth a try. IPCop will also log all outgoing connections, so
even if he can get to those site, knowing that it's all logged on a
separate box might give him reason to think twice.

Dave