Re: Backup programs recomendations

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 13:18, Arturo Alejandro Hoffstadt Urrutia wrote:

> I have to implement a backup system for a whole department, inittialy covering
> about 40 PC, and the growing...
>
> I don't want to use scripting, because I have to work cross-platform (windows
> and linux, maybe mac). I want a more serious (I ment no disrespect, but bash
> and perl are scripting language, not backup system... and I don't want to
> develop the whole backup system)...
>
> Also, I need backups in DVD o CD... I known the tape are a more reliable and
> better choice, but i'm stuck with it...

If you can live with on-disk backups with perhaps an occasional
archive-to-dvd run, look at backuppc: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
It is perl but regardless of what you want to call it, it is a
backup system and even implements it's own version of rsync in perl.
The advantages:
No client software needed - it will use windows shares, tar or
rsync on the client side.
It compresses files and links all duplicates (whether from different
machines or different backup runs) to keep much more on line than
you would expect.
It has a nice web interface for browsing backups and doing restores,
either back to the source or downloading through the browser.
You can assign 'owners' to the machines who can browse their own
backups.
The disadvantages:
'Client's eye' view of windows doesn't allow a bare metal restore
and can't read locked/open files (but someone is working on a
windows client to work around this).
The massive number of hard links in the archive make the disk
hard to duplicate for an off-site copy.
It has an archive-to-tape or CD mode but it isn't automated. You
have to run them manually and only get a tar image of the last
backup run of the selected host(s).

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx