Re: Fedora community (Was: Revised Fedora Core website - Where are the links?)

On 12/23/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> >Somewhere on the http://fedora.redhat.com home page should be placed a
> >notice of the transition to FedoraProject.org. (A link would be a nice
> >touch.) If visitors to the old site cannot find what they're searching
> >for they can go to the new site.  No need to google.
> >

> We havent made the decision yet. We are *still* discussing it.
> http://fedoraproject.org does not have all of the infrastructure
> necessary for a complete transition at this point and is maintained by
> volunteers. Again all of the discussion in the archives and is available
> in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites. The schedule is available
> from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Schedule
>
> The entire list of infrastructure details is available from
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure. You can also help by
> signing up and doing things.
>
> >I may not have expressed myself very clearly.  The main Fedora Core
> >home page has been and currently is http://fedora.redhat.com. Just do
> >a Google search for "Fedora Core".  My comment about the change being
> >stealthy is that the site has been significantly altered. There is
> >nothing on the main page or in either "News" or "About" regarding the
> >change to the site.
> >
> The changes are work in progress. We havent decided on anything yet. The
> News page links to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate. It has the
> fedora-websites-list.
>
> Let me trace back the history of this change a bit.
>
> I initiated the discussion in fedora-docs list. See
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2005-October/msg00111.html
> on creating a new mailing list for interactions about the website which
> had previous been discussed in fedora-docs and fedora-marketing list and
> someone in private mails among web administrators of the websites to
> make it open and transparent to the community. The archives are
> available. It was also later announced on the fedora-marketing list
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2005-November/msg00006.html
>
> Fedora marketing list is where the discussion about a potential
> transition to fedoraproject.org happened the whole point of which is to
> enable more of the community to participate through the wiki among other
> things.
>

> > Only people who know about the change are those of
> >the fedora-website-list which is a back channel communications link,
> >much like this list. I agree, the archives are public, but it is not
> >highly visible. What query string would you use in Google to find this
> >particular discussion?
> >
> Try "Fedora websites"?. Its the first hit.
>

> >The change is clumsy because a simple notice
> >and link would have handled the mysterious loss of content.
> >

> The work was done by volunteers. They might not have done a perfect job.
> You can file bug reports (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites) or
> [...]

My sincerest apologies if my ramblings come across as hostile.  I am a
Fedora fan, really I am.  My concern is that the public face for
Fedora Core, http://fedora.redhat.com, has been marginalized
(buzzword:  depricated) but its replacement is not ready to step up to
the plate.  If the decision has not been made to replace the site why
hobble it?  The site could have been left pretty much alone until a
replacement was ready. Why the rush? FC5 isn't due until the middle of
next year.