Gnome Nautilus Edit>Preference. 1. Default folder view. 2. Searching for files

Hi,

   I have looked at Gnome Nautilus documentation
online and can't find this anywhere. Sorry if this
alreayd covered in the mail archive but I can't find a
facility to search the archive.

   Back to base question.

    1. How do I set up Gnome Nautilus so that for
every new folder I create, the default behaiour when I
open the folder is to open a window that have the file
hierarchy in the left-hand pane? This make navigation
and actions on files so, so much easier. The default
behaviour of Nautilus on my system is to open a new
window for each folder link and no folder hierarchy
can be created in the left-hand pane. This
presentation is horrible and useless. Even Windows XP
is better in its presentation of folder navigation
under Explorer

   2. When I open File manager / Nautilus, is it
possible to set it up so that when I RIGHT click on a
folder in the hierachy I can select to SEARCH that
folder and all its sub folders? OK, there is the
search application available in Gnome. But it is
clumsy to move between Nautilus and Search to perform
a file operation (Search) that should so obviously be
part of the Nauilus File Manager. Maybe the search
function is there in File Manager and I just can't see
it.
I think this sepearate behaviour is also the way WinXP
Explorer works, but Gnome should be better than that.

Thanks in advance

Clive