Re: Gnome Nautilus Edit>Preference. 1. Default folder view. 2. Searching for files

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:55:05 +0000, Clive at Rational wrote:

> Hi,
>

>    I have looked at Gnome Nautilus documentation
> online and can't find this anywhere. Sorry if this
> alreayd covered in the mail archive but I can't find a
> facility to search the archive.
>
>    Back to base question.
>
>     1. How do I set up Gnome Nautilus so that for
> every new folder I create, the default behaiour when I
> open the folder is to open a window that have the file
> hierarchy in the left-hand pane? This make navigation
> and actions on files so, so much easier. The default
> behaviour of Nautilus on my system is to open a new
> window for each folder link and no folder hierarchy
> can be created in the left-hand pane. This
> presentation is horrible and useless. Even Windows XP
> is better in its presentation of folder navigation
> under Explorer
>
>    2. When I open File manager / Nautilus, is it
> possible to set it up so that when I RIGHT click on a
> folder in the hierachy I can select to SEARCH that
> folder and all its sub folders? OK, there is the
> search application available in Gnome. But it is
> clumsy to move between Nautilus and Search to perform
> a file operation (Search) that should so obviously be
> part of the Nauilus File Manager. Maybe the search
> function is there in File Manager and I just can't see
> it.
> I think this sepearate behaviour is also the way WinXP
> Explorer works, but Gnome should be better than that.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Clive

Someone already answered how to overwrite the stupid default behavior in
Nautilus of opening a new window each time you click on something. People
have complained about this for a long time but nobody bothered to fix the
default.

For advanced searches, you don't use a file manager. You open a shell
(command prompt) and use the very powerful unix tools like locate, find,
grep, etc. If you have the need for these tools, the time is ripe to
start using them. The time you invest in learning a few basic commands
will pay off. And it's not very hard at all.