Re: 1 minute pause on sendmail login

Hi
> Sendmail will do a reverse DNS lookup for the IP address of the
> connection to put the name in the logs.  Apparently this
> doesn't work for the address you are testing from and you
> wait for a timeout.  Perhaps the delegated DNS server is
> blocked by a firewall that drops the packets.  Likewise there
> is an IDENT query for the owner of the socket, but those
> timeouts are usually faster.

It seems to happen with *everyone* who tries to connect outside of the LAN.
Reason enough for most MTA's to abandon the sending of the message and so I'm
forced to do a temporary mail forwarding.

Interstingly enough, there is a caching dns server living on the same host as
the mail server, and the dns server is used troughout the LAN.  The
mailserver itself has "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in its resolv.conf file

I went over the sendmail.mc file but couldn't find anything interesting
pertaining this issue.

Looking at maillog I see the connection being logged but nothing which can
help me solve this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Now listening to The Nightflyer - Voyage, Voyage on amaroK
Geek code: www.vlaamse-kern.com/geek