Re: Key Codes for setkeycodes

Dotan Cohen wrote:
Back on my own machine!

What are the key codes for 'setkeycodes'? I have a few buttons on my
keyboard that I would like to enable. When I press them in a console,
I get an error which tells me to set them with setkeycodes. However,
"man setkeycodes" had no information as to what keycodes do what
(specifically, scroll up and down). Googling led me the command
getkeycodes, which despite its name, didn't provide me with any useful
information. And showkey just scared me out of any further
experimentation!

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html

If you're using a "windows" keyboard on a desktop (keys such as "email", "messenger" and such), then Ubuntu (I don't know about Kubuntu) handles them

My laptop, currently running SUSE 10, has other keys* to disable/enable wireless, adjust screen brightness, sound volume and such. To my mind, desirable configurations of those would be very different, I would expect them to work the same whether in Gnome, KDE or at the text console.

* I thought these keys were buttons, but when pressed I get kernel messages about unrecognised keys.

Thw wireless button seems to turn the wireless off, but not on: so fare, the only way I've found to make it work again is boot Windows. The screen brightness button, sound volume don't seem to do anything (except generate those messages).

I'm thinking of removing SUSE, installing FC. I might try Ubuntu along the way to see what happens.

Booting Knoppix might be interesting too.

If the work's been done, I say use it again!

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait