Re: Key Codes for setkeycodes

On 12/14/05, John Summerfied <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you're using a "windows" keyboard on a desktop (keys such as "email",
> "messenger" and such), then Ubuntu (I don't know about Kubuntu) handles them
>

> My laptop, currently running SUSE 10, has other keys* to disable/enable
> wireless, adjust screen brightness, sound volume and such. To my mind,
> desirable configurations of those would be very different, I would
> expect them to work the same whether in Gnome, KDE or at the text console.
>
> * I thought these keys were buttons, but when pressed I get kernel
> messages about unrecognised keys.
>
> Thw wireless button seems to turn the wireless off, but not on: so fare,
> the only way I've found to make it work again is boot Windows.
> The screen brightness button, sound volume don't seem to do anything
> (except generate those messages).
>
> I'm thinking of removing SUSE, installing FC. I might try Ubuntu along
> the way to see what happens.
>
> Booting Knoppix might be interesting too.
>
> If the work's been done, I say use it again!
>
> Cheers
> John

Thanks, John. In my FC4 installation with KDE, most of those 'windows'
buttons do work (And the winbutton now sports a penguin, thank you!).
I use the volume controls regularly. However, this model also has a
scroll wheel. Now that I have set the key, the scroll wheel _starts_
scrolling when I move it. The problem is, that is _continues_
scrolling when I stop. Until I press some other key, it keeps
scrolling. This is because the keyboard does not send a key release
signal- only key press. Run showkey in the console and you will see
what I mean- each key press and release is noted.

I need a way of telling the kernel NOT to repeat the command. For
instance, when you hold down "a", one a is send. If you don't release
the key within half a second, more "a"'s are considered to be input. I
need to know what makes that decision and to tell it NOT to repeat for
the scroll wheel.

I have been googleing this for two days now. Could someone recommend
to me a kernel developers list that I could ask the question there? Or
is this NOT a kernel function like I think it is (I don't know
anything about the kernel, but certain websites that I have come
across make me think that this is a kernel function)? Thank you very
much.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html
+