Re: Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 18:59 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 08:00 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> > My laptop has an Atheros-based wireless card that does "just work" in
> > Ubuntu and SuSE, but it looks like being a major hassle in FC5.
>
> This is likely due to the fact that, similar to Nvidia's or ATi's
> proprietary drivers, the module itself consists of a binary-only HAL
> plus an open-source driver to connect it with the rest of the kernel. As
> I understand it, work is under way to reverse-engineer this HAL,
> especially with OpenBSD's recent wireless advocacy.

If it is reverse engineered - like the ntfs read module is not packaged
for legal reasons, Fedora Legal might not want it because of the FCC
regulation stating that end users are not suppose to be able to
configure the power to the antenna.

However - I do anticipate that reverse engineering simply because it
would be nice to not have a tainted kernel - even if I still have to get
the module from rpm.livna.org instead of pre-packaged.