Re: Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 19:08 -0500, Temlakos wrote:

> And I agree with you: the fault for the chronic WiFi problems lies with
> manufacturers who won't cooperate with the open-source movement.

In some cases - it is the FCC that may actually be at fault.
The FCC has regulations on what devices can be user configurable - with
respect to how much power can be sent to the antenna.

Some cards control that via a chip, but that's more expensive than via
software/firmware. But because of the FCC regulation, such
software/firmware has to be closed to the user.

This is why some cards have non open firmware that has to be used, and I
believe it is also why madwifi uses a closed source HAL (rest of madwifi
is open source).