Re: Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
What wireless cards work with FC4 out of the box? I'd rather not have to install any drivers. Please use common names, not chipsets in responses unless you provide both.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help

Doug P

At the risk of sounding like a former president of the USA in one of his more inglorious moments--it depends on what the meaning of the phrase "out-of-the-box" is. /No/ wireless card, AFAIK, will work without /some/ form of kernel module or driver wrapper to address it.

That said, I recommend the Netgear family of wireless cards, together with the kernel-module-madwifi package appropriate to whatever kernel you wish to run. These kernel modules are available on the livna repository, and they work. I use them myself.

Netgear uses chipsets built by Atheros Communications. I recommend that you go to the site http://www.atheros.com/ and run their excellent Product Search routine. You will find that Netgear is hardly the only wireless card maker to use Atheros chips--and you can even select specific models of cards, addressing whatever band you want to be on (802.11 a, b, and/or g). The list of companies, and card models, that should work with the kernel-module-madwifi packages is far too voluminous to post here--which goes to show that that chip has gotten very popular indeed.

You will no doubt also be interested in what models of laptop, that often have built-in wireless interfaces, will work with Fedora and these kernel modules. The Product Search will help you there, too. Sony (including the VAIO family of laptops), Toshiba, IBM, NEC, HP/Compaq, and Fujitsu are the six brand names to choose here. (Warning: Dell is /not/ among those brands. I bought a Dell Inspiron, that did /not/ have built-in wireless, and then bought a Netgear card to make it connect.)

Temlakos