Re: Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Temlakos wrote:
Douglas Phillipson wrote:
What wireless cards work with FC4 out of the box? I'd rather not have to install any drivers. Please use common names, not chipsets in responses unless you provide both.

That said, I recommend the Netgear family of wireless cards, together with the kernel-module-madwifi package appropriate to whatever kernel you wish to run. These kernel modules are available on the livna repository, and they work. I use them myself.

Netgear uses chipsets built by Atheros Communications. I recommend that you go to the site http://www.atheros.com/ and run their excellent Product Search routine. You will find that Netgear is hardly the only wireless card maker to use Atheros chips--and you can even select specific models of cards, addressing whatever band you want to be on (802.11 a, b, and/or g). The list of companies, and card models, that should work with the kernel-module-madwifi packages is far too voluminous to post here--which goes to show that that chip has gotten very popular indeed.

I think he meant that he didn't want to d/l something, compile and
install it. Rather he wanted something that is already in Fedora.
I'm not that's going to be possible (I'm not that knowledgeable in
this area). What I have done is to use ndiswrapper (a pain but
workable) and I just got a Netgear WG311T and hope to not have to
use the ndiswrapper as I'm writing a book and I'd like to have the
correct info for the ndiswrapper (I have 2 boards for that) and the
info for a native driver (MadWiFi?).

Here's a link to boards that work with MadWiFi:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility

I'm not sure this will fit your needs exactly but I hope it helps.

BTW, before you curse the Linux community under your breath the
blame for the WiFi problems should fall on the manufacturers of
the chip sets as they are the ones who are not sharing. I've
fought with the NDIS, the closed source drivers and even
incompatible cards (an Intel 2200 won't work in an AMD
machine, the BIOS won't let you boot).

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)