Re: Floppy Boot?

RM Christiansen wrote:
I want to install FC4 i386 on an older computer. The CD-Rom is not bootable.
Hard disk or Floppy (3-1/2) are my only boot choices.
Is there a way to create a floppy boot set to start the install from?
Please point to a web site where I can research the start point to
installing any linux dist.
Thanks,
-RMC

Here are instructions Conor Daly sent me when I asked
on another list how I could install from CDs and I
cannot configure my BIOS to boot from a scsi cdrom -
it is only configure to boot from an IDE cdrom:

[begin instructions]

1. Loopmount diskboot.img
2. Copy vmlinuz and initrd.img (with unique names) to
   your /boot directory
3. Configure grub (you should be on grub with RH7.3)
   to boot from the copied kernel
4. At boot time type 'linux askmethod' and you'll get
   to specify the CDROM

I used this method to install FC3 online. Just downloaded
the boot.iso and chose 'ftp' as the install method...

or

1. Copy boot.iso to your hard disk
2. Configure grub to boot from the iso [0]
3. At boot time type 'linux askmethod' and you'll get to
   specify the CDROM

This assumes that there is a suitable scsi driver available
in the initrd.img. If not, you can go about it this way.

1. copy the contents of the CDs to the hard disk (second
   and subsequent CDs' rpm files go in the RPMS directory
   copied from the first CD
2. Use either of the above boot methods and specify 'hard
   disk' as the source.

NB. Make sure you copy the CD contents to a filesystem
    that is _not_ going to be formatted at install time
    otherwise there'll be nothing there for the installer
    to use!

Conor

[0] Booting direct from an iso is mentioned here:
http://www.linux.ie/lists/pipermail/ilug/2005-February/022062.html

Basically, it's:

grub> chainloader hd(0,0)/image.iso
grub> boot

[end instructions]

Hope that helps,

Darlene
--
World Centric Fair Trade & Eco Store
http://www.worldcentric.org/store/
We have created and live in a world of gross social
and economic inequalities[1] and are at the same
time severely impacting[2] the natural eco-systems
and regenerating bio-capacity of the planet. Our
every action has an impact on the well-being of our
planet and our everyday decisions[3] can help create
a better world for all. In keeping with this fact
and our vision, the World Centric Fair Trade/Eco
Online Store provides everyday consumption choices,
which can help minimize social & economic
inequalities, reduce the impact of our consumption
on the environment and help create a better and
sustainable world.

[1] http://www.worldcentric.org/stateworld/socialjustice.htm
[2] http://www.worldcentric.org/stateworld/environment.htm
[3] http://www.worldcentric.org/sustain/index.htm