Re: [Fedora] Re: X-related questions

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 16:59 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >Just install vnc-server ("yum install vnc-server" or "yum install vnc*"
> >to install server and client).  Then perform the actions I mentioned
> >before.  As the root user, generate a VNC password:
> >
> >	# vncpasswd
> >
> >Next, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  In the "Modules" section, add the line:
> >
> >	Load  "vnc"
> >
> >In the "Screen" section, add:
> >
> >	Option      "passwordfile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
> >
> >Save and close the file, then restart X by logging out or ye ol'
> >CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.  Once you see X back up, use your vncviewer program,
> >put in the password you set up and you should see the GDM login screen.
> >Away you go!
> >

>     Yes, away I really went.  That worked!  Except now I'm faced with
> some weird artifacts.  Something I didn't see when I was using the
> Remote Desktop piece.  But I do see it using VNC now.  I took a screen
> grab of what I see in my vncviewer and you can see it at
> http://www.yeehaw.net/vnc.jpg
>
>     Bunch of dots that come and go as I have menus open and close...

That's typically a network lag issue or a depth problem with your
vncviewer client.  Try it again, or try some of the vncviewer options
such as "-PreferredEncoding <encode-type>" and "-UseLocalCursor" and
see if that helps.

I rarely if ever see that sort of thing myself.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-   "I was remembering the immortal words of Socrates when he said,  -
-   'I drank what?'"                 -- Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"  -