Re: [Fedora] Re: X-related questions

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 16:05 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >Yes, remote desktop is RDP, an open source version of Microsoft's remote
> >console stuff.  VNC is much more better (heheheh!) IMHO.
> >

>     Okay, so then I assume all I have to do is install vnc-server and
> configure it, correct?  How would X know of the vnc "module" for it to
> even load it?

It's part of the vnc-server package:

[root@prophead linux]# rpm -ql vnc-server
<snip>
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/vnc.so
<snip>

Just install vnc-server ("yum install vnc-server" or "yum install vnc*"
to install server and client).  Then perform the actions I mentioned
before.  As the root user, generate a VNC password:

	# vncpasswd

Next, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  In the "Modules" section, add the line:

	Load  "vnc"

In the "Screen" section, add:

	Option      "passwordfile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"

Save and close the file, then restart X by logging out or ye ol'
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.  Once you see X back up, use your vncviewer program,
put in the password you set up and you should see the GDM login screen.
Away you go!

If you want to tunnel the VNC stuff through SSH, make sure you use the
"vncviewer -via ssh-gateway-machine vnc-server-machine" syntax.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -