Re: Missing xmms launcher

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 10:01 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:

> These "generic" names have actually been chosen as a matter of policy,
> the idea being that users unfamiliar with particular applications would
> be able to easily find a tool for the task they want to do, e.g. play
> some audio, edit some text, burn a CD. Most newbies wouldn't have a clue
> what "xmms" was for instance.

It's quite possible to do both:

e.g. "Eye Of Gnome image viewer"
     "XMMS music player"
     "Gedit text editor"
     "X CD roast disc burning"

If you're going to put in generic entries, then it ought to run the
default application (i.e. the user's preferred text editor).  Not some
specific application that might not be the user's preferred application.

It's thoroughly irritating, and even more confusing to new users, when
running "text editor", for instance, doesn't run the application that
they expect to get as *their* text editor.

And then what happens when two entirely different applications decide
that they both want to be *the* web browser?

The current policy has not been thought through very well, at all.

I read messages from the public lists.