RE: FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

At 9:17 PM -0700 10/27/05, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>Now, the next trick is... when you reboot, and if you find
>that grub fails (in a mysterious state, as I did), then you
>can put your Fedora rescue disc in and reboot.
>
>When Fedora rescue comes up, just hit the return key and
>continue through to the end where the last thing you do
>is to 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'
>
>Where is where I got screwed: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SETUP YOUR
>INTERNET CONNECTION AND CONTINUE ON THINKING THAT YOU CAN
>DO A YUM UPDATE!!!!  IT WILL NOT WORK AND YOU CANNOT UNDO
>THE DAMAGE!!!!  Sorry - caps button was on for emphasis.

I think you should file a bugzilla against yum (or rpm?) about this, as it
certainly seems a seductive thing to try.  Either yum (or rpm?) should
handle it correctly or they should at least refuse to try.  I see you have
additional data about the problem.  It might turn out to be just a special
case of something more general that yum (rpm?) should be verifying.