Re: Fedora 4 maxtor 160Gb 30 gb missing;

At 7:12 PM +0100 10/28/05, Mirco Scaramucci wrote:
>hello guys,
>I just purchased a brand new maxtor 160Gb harddrive where I installed
>fedora core 4 and the drive was fully recognized by anaconda during
>installation as a 160Gb.
>Installation went all ok but when I first logged in to my account and
>checked the available space on disk i noticed that strangely the space
>available was only 135Gb meaning that approx 30Gb were not counted in.
>I then upgraded to kernel 2.6.13.1-1532.FC4 hoping to regain the missing
>space but still no sign of it.
>I therefore installed QTPArted and checked what the situation was and
>funny enough the LVM on qtparted is recognized as 160Gb.
>I also have a 40Gb external HD connected via USB which is fully
>recognized.
>
>What has happened to the remaining 30GB on the MAxtor HD?

I venture to guess that you are having a 128 MB problem with your ATA disk
controller.  Others will know more about it.  Newer controllers
"double-pump" the disk address registers to get past the limit.  I don't
know if older controllers can do that at all; I do know that they can't on
boot.