Re: Why wont this script run??

Benjamin Franz wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Søren Neigaard wrote:

Benjamin Franz wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, S�ren Neigaard wrote:

I have made a diff on the original httpd.conf and my problematic
version, and attached it to this mail. I hope one of you guys can help
me out here, why wont apache start with this httpd.conf? Is it because
of the www user maybe (even though its a bit oftopic)?

Look at your error log: /var/log/httpd/error_log (unless you have changed it to somewhere else).

It will very likely have an error message specifying the problem.

It says nothing in that logfile, i think that the script runs some check on my httpd.conf file before it even attempts to start httpd, and this check fails, even though httpd likes my httpd.conf

Any ideas?

You have a configuration error that is not a syntax error. Typically I've found 'silent deaths' tend to be things like log files being placed in directories that don't exist or permissions errors. Check that every file/directory explicitly referenced in your configuration file actually exists and has appropriate permissions. Don't just visually scan the httpd.conf - actually 'cut and paste' the names in the file to something like a 'ls' command to verify you haven't typoed a file/directory name.

Everything looks ok with ls, and permissions seems ok also. Also the difference between the "working" httpd.conf and the "not working" httpd.conf is only VirtualHosts...??

Also, check /var/log/messages to find out if SELinux doesn't like something you are doing.

Nothing here... :(

How can it be that httpd runs fine with my httpd.conf if i start it manually, and all VirtualHosts works perfectly, but the script refuses to start httpd?? Man im puzzled here.

/Søren