Re: Why wont this script run??

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 15:36 +0200, Søren Neigaard wrote:
> Somehow my /etc/init.d/httpd script broke (i did not alter it), and i
> dont know how to fix it, but i found out that simply running
> "/usr/sbin/httpd" starts apache, but apachectl does not. So my plan was
> to make a really simple script that runs "/usr/sbin/httpd" like the
> following:
>
> --- SCRIPT ---
> #!/bin/bash
>
> start() {
>          echo "Starting httpd"
>          /usr/sbin/httpd
> }
> stop() {
>          echo "Stopping httpd"
>          killall -9 httpd
>          rm -f /var/run/httpd.pid /var/lock/subsys/httpd
> }
>
> restart() {
>          stop
>          start
> }
>
> case "$1" in
>          start)
>                  start
>                  ;;
>          stop)
>                  stop
>                  ;;
>          restart)
>                  restart
>                  ;;
>          *)
>                  echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
>                  exit 1
> esac
>
> exit $?
> --- SCRIPT ---
>
> But it gives me this:
>
> : bad interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> Im no shell programmer, so i have no clue... Any ideas folks?

Did you write the script on a windows system, then copy it over to a
linux system (I noticed you are using a Windows email client)? This
error can be due to problems with carriage return/line feed characters.

Your script syntax looks fine - this error will be due to the file
format, permissions or the shell environment.

BTW - if you broke your apache startup script, just install/re-install
apache to recover it. Easier than trying to reinvent the wheel :)

Cheers, Ben