Re: Fedora / Windows Boot.

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 17:15 -0700, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 14:05, Christopher Sammet wrote:
> > Hi
> > If both hard drives were connected during the Linux installation it
> > should have asked you if you wanted to use Grub as the boot loader.
> > If you selected this option Grub will ask which hard drive has the
> > default OS.  If Windows is on the primary hard drive it will show up
> > hda 0 if not it is hda 1, Fedora should be on the other.
>
> Hi Christopher:
>
> I believe the above is incorrect.  Hard drives are normally /dev/hda...hdz
> without numbers for the device.  The numbers point to the partition on each
> device.
>
> Please correct me if that is wrong.
----
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

yes - wrong - grub sees the drives numbered from 0 in the order BIOS
sees them.

hd0 #first drive
hd1 #second drive
hd2 #third drive
etc.

thus an entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf might be...

        root (hd1,0)

which means the first partition on the second drive seen by BIOS

none of this has the designation of hda/sda hdb/sdb (drive type -
IDE/SCSI)

Craig

believed to be clean.