Re: iptables script migration from Red Hat 9 To Fedora Core 4

Kenneth Porter wrote:

--On Monday, October 10, 2005 8:11 PM -0400 Robert L Cochran <cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have an iptables script that works well under the Red Hat 9 version of
iptables, but which does not seem to work under the Fedora Core 4
version. For example, the script defines the external DNS server for my
ISP, and when I run it, I get messages that various external servers were
not found, e.g.

" 'server.myisp.net' not found"

What's the source of the script? If hand-coded, then consulting with the netfilter/iptables people might be called for, to see what changed from the old package to the new. You might want to put the script on a web page for people to inspect.

The script was adapted from one provided by Robert Ziegler in his book "Linux Firewalls". I've just begun realizing that this script was meant to run under a 2.4 kernel, which Red Hat 9 has. Fedora Core 4 is using the 2.6 kernel, of course. Maybe it's time for me to post the script to the netfilter mailing list and see what they advise.

Bob