Re: OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 8/14/05, Justin Willmert <justin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dotan,

I'm glad to here I was a help to you. As a little side comment, I
thought C++ would be a couple more years in the future when I just
suddenly took up learning it. I bet you gravitate towards learning C/C++
before you know it.

Start out with realistic expectations and you'll be happily rewarded.
Happy Coding!
Justin

You're probably right. If it weren't for the memory managment, I
probably would have started with C/C++. It seems that prgraming in C
is removing another layer of insulation from between the programer and
the OS. I like that. But I must learn before I start to mess things up
with it.

As a side note, another poster requested that I write back with my
findings on a perl tutorial. I must say: they are all out of date. It
seems that somewhere around 2002 people stopped being interested in
perl. Probably becase of php, because around 2001-2002 we see all the
php tutorials popping up. So I am looking for a hebrew book on perl. I
think that O'reilley has one. I would recommend to that same poster,
and anybody else, to get a book if he wants to learn perl.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/270/inxs.php
INXS Song Lyrics

Might also have to do with the impending new version of perl (version 6). It might be that those inclined to write tutorials are waiting. If you have a tutorial from the 2000- 2002 period, it's going to be just fine for perl v5.x.

--R