Re: OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 13:43 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> sebb wrote:
> > i totally agree with paul, python is the way to go. it has very strong
> > extensions for everything (check pygame!) and is yet very portable.
>
> Actually, Paul said (while recommending it)
> that python was _not_ very portable.

Well it's portable in that it's available on multiple platforms, but the
architects of the language don't worry too much about breaking old
programs with new versions of python, at least not when compared with
perl. In other words, an old perl program is still likely to work on a
new version of perl, which might not be the case for an old python
program and a new version of python.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>