Re: Fedora Rant #3 - why are the sound controls so weird?

In my case, this application let me choose which sound card is to be used as the primary.  I have 2 sound cards, 1 onboard that I use for headset and 1 addon that I use for my 5.1 speakers.

Albert

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Matthew Saltzman wrote:

System Settings=>Soundcard Detection
strikes me as completely useless.
What exactly is the point of it?
Has anyone ever found it of any use?

Why, yes.  I find that it detects and configures my sound cards (SB Live!
and Intel 82801) flawlessly and plays a test sound in the left, right, and
both channels.  That means it got the right hardware and inserted the
right driver module with the right parameters.

In what way does it "configure" your card?

As far as I can see, it simply tells you what card it sees,
and asks you if it is working.
If it is, it tells you it is working.
If it is not, it tells you it is not working.