Fedora Rant #3 - why are the sound controls so weird?

I'm running Fedora-4 on a Sony C1VFK Picturebook,
with a Yamaha YMF-754 audio controller (according to lspci),
and I'm having trouble with sound -
which sometimes works perfectly, but more often does not work at all.

Now the problem may well be with the hardware,
but my gripe is with the various methods which seem to be offered
for controlling sound.

I should say that I am running KDE,
and I'm not entirely sure which tools belong to KDE, which to Fedora,
and which to Linux generally.

System Settings=>Soundcard Detection
strikes me as completely useless.
What exactly is the point of it?
Has anyone ever found it of any use?

Why isn't there a System Settings=>Sound
which will allow me to change the sound settings?

The Control Centre=>Sound & Multimedia=>Sound System
is almost as useless.
containing only settings which I cannot imagine any normal person using
(eg control sound from another computer).

I have a Sound icon (a loudspeaker) in my panel,
and if I right click on this and choose Show Mixer Window
a KMix window comes up with a large selection of controls,
all of which are more or less meaningless to me.

What does a right-angle triangle, half-shaded in green,
with a letter b on the hypotenuse, mean?
Does this symbol have some universal significance?

What does "FM Legacy" mean?
What does it mean to set this control to say 55% ?
And what is the strange icon, looking a little like a pen,
which appears above it, and 4 other different controls?

What a mess!

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366