Re: explanation of yum.cron + a little frustration.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 02:11:36PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> a> You are correct and I started yum, but the bigger question still
> a> remains what does yum.cron do.
>
> Once per day cron will run every script in /etc/cron.daily, which
> includes yum.cron.  That script first checks to see if yum was enabled
> by /etc/init.d/yum; to do this it checks for the existence of
> /var/lock/sybsys/yum.  If that file is not present the script just
> exits without doing anything.  Otherwise it invokes yum.
>
> This arrangement allows you to use the standard initscripts system
> (chkconfig, service, and various graphical tools) to control whether
> or not yum runs nightly.  Otherwise you'd have to manage things
> manually.  Of course, you still can do things manually if you really
> want to.
>
>  - J<
Look, I appretiate that people answer my questions but why won't some
on tell me the answer to this question. I asume the last line in the
script does a yum update. But why is such a complex line needed.
Where does shell come from and what do the commands in:
do exactly.

The file /etc/init.d is a joke. All that to create a lock file for a
program it does not run, That is at least a minor violation of the
concept behind the scripts in /etc/init.d

Somehow, the world always affects you more than you affect it.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484