Re: explanation of yum.cron + a little frustration.

a> Look, I appretiate that people answer my questions but why won't
a> some on tell me the answer to this question.

That's a great way to elicit killfile additions instead of help, but
I'll persist.

a> I asume the last line in the script does a yum update.

To be clear, I believe you refer to this line:

/usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y shell /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum

A quick perusal of the yum manual page tells what the arguments mean:

-R 10  -- wait a random amount of time, up to ten minutes
-e 0   -- print only critical errors
-d 0   -- turn off debugging
-y     -- assume a "yes" answer to any prompts
shell /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum
       -- process yum commands from /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum

And in /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum we see:

update
ts run
exit

which tells yum to queue an update transaction, run that transaction,
and exit.

a> But why is such a complex line needed.

You could do something like that more simply, but this gives the
administrator the ability to edit /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum and add
additional yum commands.  My thanks to the yum developers for
providing me with this flexibility.  Those that have no need of it can
just "chkconfig yum on; service yum start" and be none the wiser.

a> Where does shell come from and what do the commands in: do exactly.

I don't understand the second part of the question.  I believe I've
answered the first.

a> The file /etc/init.d is a joke.

Do you believe that anything not completely understood by you or not
needed for your specific configuration is a joke?

a> All that to create a lock file for a program it does not run,

Yes, that's what it does.  I fail to comprehend what is wrong with
that.

a> That is at least a minor violation of the concept behind the
a> scripts in /etc/init.d

It is?  Perhaps you simply lack full understanding of those concepts.
Scripts in /etc/init.d can start daemons, create files and move them
around, poke magic values into the kernel, or do basically any kind of
setup needed when the system starts.

I commend you for digging into this in order to understand it better,
but criticizing everything that you fail to completely understand as
being unnecessary, overly complex or "a joke" isn't really useful, is
it?

 - J<