Re: explanation of yum.cron + a little frustration.

On Sunday 14 August 2005 23:19, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Look, I appretiate that people answer my questions but why won't some
> on tell me the answer to this question. I asume the last line in the
> script does a yum update. But why is such a complex line needed.

man yum:
-e 0 = error level to 0, prints less errors
-d 0 = debug level 0, prints less debug messages
-R 120 = Sets the maximum amount of time yum will wait before performing a
command  - it randomizes over the time.

My interpretation:
Switches -e and -d are used to make yum quiet.
 -R randomizes the updates, without this all users in same timezone would
start downloading updates at the same time, which would cause quite much load
to the servers.

Regards
Kimmo Koivisto