Re: file system with errors

From: "Peter Lesterhuis" <peterlesterhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
While working on a desktop running fc3 the screen suddenly froze. Trying to restart the machine failed.
A filesystem check occurs and then the next message is displayed:

control root filesystem
/ contains a filesystem with errors, check forced. CEST 20 [OK]
Duplicate or bad block in use!
/: duplicate/bad block in inode 2173802: 4386295   4386295

After this message the starting process hangs. After hitting "enter" it tries to restart. Would anyone know of a way to repair this? Or should I do a re-install (which I do not like very much because then I loose settings and some unimportant data). I've absolutely no idea what caused the error.
Peter.

Peter, this seems to mean you have a very sick machine. The first thing
that comes to mind is that there is a disk which is going or has gone
bad. If so data recovery is doubtful.

This could also be caused by a bad disk drive cable.

Another potential is an overclocked machine with a random glitch every
once and awhile that has built up a collection of errors in data stored
to disk. This is most likely to be seen in file entries in directories
since these have a time flag that gets updated. Even if the machine is
not overclocked this problem may exist. Some motherboards are just
plain screwed up that way.

One thing which can cause both the first and third problems at once is
a power supply that is just a little to weak for your system needs. Low
voltage will cause screwed up drive performance as well as screwed up
processor performance.

{^_^}