Re: FC4 Install GRUB Load Error

Chris Kirk wrote:
Hey,

I'd rather you didn't top-post.

I popped in the installation CD and ran the Linux Rescue. Through
Shell I found boot/grub in mnt/sysimage/boot/grub

So I moved the boot folder into / and restarted and its still hanging!

Any ideas?

Yes. Given what you wrote, it seems that you didn't read any FAQ
or instructions about Linux Rescue. When you boot Linux Rescue,
your original file system is in /mnt/sysimage. So /mnt/sysimage
in the rescue environment is / in the normal boot environment,
and /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub is /boot/grub in the normal boot
environnment. I suppose you mean that you copied not moved?
If you moved, then you are now in worse shape than before.

What does fdisk tell you?

# fdisk -l    <----- try this command

To get the rescue environment to look like the normal boot
environment, you need to use chroot.

# chroot /mnt/sysimage

After that, it'll look more or less the way it does after
a normal boot.

Umm, don't do this yet, until we find the files.

Do a rescue boot, and see whether you can find these files
in /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub

	stage2
	grub.conf

In fact, you might be better off making a GRUB boot floppy
and trying to boot with that and see whether your image can
get off the ground that way.

What system are you booting now? I mean for sending these
e-mails? Is it a Linux machine with GRUB? If so, then you
can run the GRUB emulator and make a GRUB boot floppy.

I suggest you do

$ info grub

and read up on how to make a GRUB boot floppy. If you can
get a GRUB boot floppy to boot your Linux on that disc,
you are nearly there. GRUB can then install on your disc
for you. Also, you'll learn how to make a grub.conf file
so you can select what to boot.

Until you have some idea of GRUB, it's going to be difficult
to help you long distance, because too many things would have
to be explained and asked.

If you can, read up on GRUB, and ask whatever questions
you need to get a better feel for GRUB.

If you can't read up on GRUB on your machine, or even
if you can, you might find http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html
useful.

Or you could just try to re-install.

Mike