Re: FC4 Install GRUB Load Error

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:26:06AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Chris Kirk wrote:
> >Hey Guys,
> >
> >I just recently, well yesterday actually installed FC4 on my old PC. I
> >downloaded the iso files and burned them to a disk and did all the
> >checks and they all passed.
> >
> >I installed it as a Desktop and just did the default settings because
> >I am pretty new at this sort of stuff. I have an HP system that has
> >the auto-partitioned system with a D: recovery drive. When installing
> >FC4 I selected to do an automatic thing and just remove my Windows
> >drive so I believe it should have wiped that all out.
> >
> >It said it did the install successfully and it did the post
> >installation stuff and everything and then told me to take out the CD
> >and hit reboot. I did so and then it loaded a blakc screen with a
> >white text saying
> >
> >GRUB Loading stage2...
> >and a blinking _ on the next line.
> >
> >I turned off the PC and turned it back on only to have the same problem.
> >
> >If anyone has any suggestions at all please let me know as I am
> >totally lost to this!
> >
> >Thanks in advance!

I am loathe to respond since I don't have all the facts at home but I
have had this problem and it is caused (at least in every case I have
seen) by grub-install not working properly. The solution is to boot
with the rescue disk and do a chroot /mnt/sysimage and instead of
running grub-install run the two commands root followed by setup. What
I am vague about is the parameters for these two commands.
My memory is something like:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

with the arguments changed to fit your machine which may not be using
hd0 and partition 0.

You can check the right parameters by doing an: info grub
Of course, if you don't have a working system you can't do info grub.
I just did that and commands above are correct, if you want to put the
boot sector in the MBR of hda.

	"No one talks peace unless he's ready to back it up with war."
	"He talks of peace if it is the only way to live."
		-- Colonel Green and Surak of Vulcan, "The Savage Curtain",
		   stardate 5906.5.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University