Re: file system with errors

Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
Hi,
While working on a desktop running fc3 the screen suddenly froze. Trying to restart the machine failed.
A filesystem check occurs and then the next message is displayed:

control root filesystem
/ contains a filesystem with errors, check forced. CEST 20 [OK]
Duplicate or bad block in use!
/: duplicate/bad block in inode 2173802: 4386295   4386295

After this message the starting process hangs. After hitting "enter" it tries to restart. Would anyone know of a way to repair this? Or should I do a re-install (which I do not like very much because then I loose settings and some unimportant data). I've absolutely no idea what caused the error.
Peter.

Did you mean you might lose *important* data? I generally don't mind
losing unimportant data.

I recommend using a rescue CD. I like Knoppix, but sysrescuecd is
pretty good, too. I haven't used the Fedora rescue CDs, but
given the quality of FC software, I'd guess that they are pretty
good, too. In this way, you might be able to access your disc
and get your settings and (un)important data off in case you
wind up (as I suspect you may) having to reinstall.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.