Re: Mail being silently bounced after turning on SMTP authentication?

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 19:29 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> >Am Mi, den 10.08.2005 schrieb Philip Prindeville um 20:01:
> >

> >>However, it seems that I'm not getting certain messages...  I suspect.
> >>

> >$ host -t MX redfish-solutions.com
> >redfish-solutions.com mail is handled by 10 mail.
> >
> >Fix your DNS to be able to get mail.
> >

> That was an unrelated issue that was caused by a scripting issue
> at my DNS farm...  I think they've fixed it since they, as "dig"
> shows things as being back to normal.
>
> But I continue to suspect that some mail simply isn't finding its
> way to me, and I'm not sure why.
>
> In the past, it's been issues with the senders' ISPs, or else with
> misconfiguration at various DoD sites (sigh).

If you suspect that your server isn't working properly, one option would
be to telnet in to the smtp port of your server (preferably from outside
your own network if possible) and issue SMTP commands for delivering
mail. That way you can see from a sender's viewpoint how your server is
behaving, and you can see if it's delivering the (test) mail properly.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>