Mail being silently bounced after turning on SMTP authentication?

I recently made the following changes to my sendmail.mc:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')
define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')

And as far as I can tell, everything works more or less ok (short of the
warning about one of the certificates being generated by localhost.localdomain
which isn't the canonical name, obviously...)

However, it seems that I'm not getting certain messages... I suspect. I can't
tell for sure.  I've looked in the maillog and everything looks fine, but
sendmail doesn't tend to log failed transactions if no message was gathered
(if I remember correctly).

Is there a way to see if there are any failed transactions? Obviously I want
to protect my machine from being used as a Spam relay, and want to be
able to send messages from my laptop when I'm out on the road, but don't
want to balk at legitimate incoming mail.

Also, where does the logging for spamassassin go and how can you tell
if it's causing messages to be rejected?

As far as I can tell, spamassassin isn't even being used... I think that I must
have omitted some tweak to cyrusv2 to get it to include spam filtering...

Thanks,

-Philip