Re: Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Claude Jones wrote:
On Tue August 9 2005 11:10 am, Mike McCarty wrote:

Claude Jones wrote:

On Mon August 8 2005 5:31 pm, Mike McCarty wrote:

............., yet!

You would lose your bet. I advise against cable select, *ALWAYS*.

The operative here is that 'yet' just above your declaration...

Good point! :-)

Ok - final point, since you did seem to pull back what from seemed to be turning into a mud-sling. My experience has been, also after a very long frustrating diagnostic session on a mission critical pc, that it is possible to jumper m/s the drives, using a cs cable, and it NOT work - In fact, if you'd been present during that session, you'd have lost the bet.

Erm, no I wouldn't. I'd have looked in, seen the C/S cable and
immediately tossed it, and put in a good non-C/S cable.

:-)

There are standards, and there are standards, as you rightly point out, and much equipment is produced in complete violation of same - now why that particular instance occurred for me at that time, is lost to history, but it happened, and was formative in my reaching my current methods of operation.

Reinforeces my belief that C/S cables are for the birds.

We only purchase name brand cables here because our business depends on them and with over 50 pc's to keep running, it's not a luxury to keep out cheap crap, but a necessity. Poor quality components always cost more in down-time than we save. So, if a PC comes in with issues I suspect may be jumper/cable

I think everyone who deals with machines on a business basis
agrees with this.

[snip]

(Never could let anyone have the last word :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.