Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Just reporting something that came up in postings earlier regarding cable select settings vs. setting the jumpers on the devices, I tried cable select on my drives because I wanted to swap the primary CDROM with the Secondary DVD burner. The jumpers set to master / slave worked fine when the CDROM which is on the secondary of the cable select cable. The CDROM was set to master, While the DVD was on the master of the cable select cable. When I changed the DVD to master and set the CDROM to slave. both set to the same position on the cable select cable, the devices dd not become recognized correctly. (CDROM on secondary, DVD on primary) Changing the devices to both cable select allowed the DVD to be master and the CDROM burner to be slave as desired.

This is sort of a retraction and a note that jumper selection settings on a cable select IDE cable can cause trouble, primarily with the secondary connector on the cable selectable IDE cable.

Jim

--
The difficult we do today; the impossible takes a little longer.