Re: Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Claude Jones wrote:
On Sun August 7 2005 1:06 pm, Jim Cornette wrote:

Just reporting something that came up in postings earlier regarding
cable select settings vs. setting the jumpers on the devices, I tried
cable select on my drives because I wanted to swap the primary CDROM
with the Secondary DVD burner. The jumpers set to master / slave worked
fine when the CDROM which is on the secondary of the cable select cable.
The CDROM was set to master, While the DVD was on the master of the
cable select cable.
When I changed the DVD to master and set the CDROM to slave. both set to
the same position on the cable select cable, the devices dd not become
recognized correctly. (CDROM on secondary, DVD on primary)
Changing the devices to both cable select allowed the DVD to be master
and the CDROM burner to be slave as desired.

This is sort of a retraction and a note that jumper selection settings
on a cable select IDE cable can cause trouble, primarily with the
secondary connector on the cable selectable IDE cable.

I see all sorts of declarative statements on this subject, here, and they are generally wrong. One thing I do in my job is hardware maintenance for a large

[snip]

well...., work. If you have a cable select cable, jumper your devices "cs" - if you have a standard non-cs cable, jumper your devices master/slave. Follow this convention, and you won't have problems - I'd be willing to bet that everyone who's declared that you should ignore these protocols, and always jumper master/slave, or some other variation on this argument, have simply been lucky - they are victims who just haven't been bit, ............., yet!

You would lose your bet. I advise against cable select, *ALWAYS*.

IMO, cable select is EVIL.

When I advise against using cable select I presume that
the person doing the setup would not use "mix-n-match"
as you suggest.

I can't imagine anyone suggesting "mix-n-match".

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.