Re: Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 15:19 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Sunday 07 August 2005 13:29, Claude Jones wrote:

On Sun August 7 2005 1:06 pm, Jim Cornette wrote:

[so much for attribution, snip!]

The cable select cable is usually marked as such and many have tags
showing which is master and which is slave.
Almost every one made today has 3 different color connectors.   A
colored one at the board end (blue or red is common), gray in the middle
(slave) and black at the other end (master)

A good rule of thumb I use is that if all connectors are the same color
it is not CS.  If there are different colored connectors it is CS.

Hey, nice touch. I hadn't thought to look for that.

All  motherboards I have bought in the last 4 years have had CS cables
included, and all that I have found at the electronics stores (Comp USA,
Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, and others) are also CS.

Yes, they have them included, and mine immediately hit the trash can.

You will also find that all new hard drives you purchase new will be set
as CS by default.

Yes, and they immediately get rejumpered.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.