Re: Dialup

Thomas W. Cranston wrote:

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Mo, den 27.06.2005 schrieb Thomas W. Cranston um 16:27:

Has anybody successfully configured a USRobotics PCI hardware (not Win) modem?

The USR Modem needs to be configured to ttyS4, but the dialup application configures it to ttyS0. After selecting and saving ttyS4, the dialup messages show that the modem is set at ttyS0.

A while ago Paul Howarth told you how to configure the modem. Please be more specific about your configuration state, else it is hard to help out.

Alexander

I am not asking how to configure the modem.

I am asking if any one has successfully configured a dialup using a hardware modem that needs to be configured to ttyS4

I'm late to this conversation, but the answer is yes, sort of. I have the USR 5610B. In FC3 I used the Linux driver from the USR website. It did weird things, but configured the modem as ttyS3, and it worked. It did something to the configuration of ALL my ttyS* devices, such that they were assigned values that were detected as 'bad arguments' on boot, except for the modem - it was an annoyance I never resolved, and it didn't have any repercussions. Recently, after upgrading to FC4, I had problems getting to the USR website. Someone suggested I 'just try it'.The modem was detected as ttyS0 by FC4. After linking that to /dev/modem, it did indeed 'just work'. In no circumstance did I ever have to use ttyS4, though I did read such claims myself in trying to get mine working.