Re: Why FC4 using the Jpackage 1.4.2 Java?

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:27:58AM -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > Nope. No open source JVM currently exists.
> I checked your above statement with one of my trusted colleagues.
> Here is what I find:
> The statement that "Sun's Java isnt even slightly open source" is
> clearly an exaggeration.  Here are the facts:

Calling them "facts" doesn't make these (sometimes debatable) points mean
that Java is open source. I started to respond to them point-by-point, but
it's really not worth it, since none of them address the key point: Java is
tightly controlled by a strict license, which *still isn't even slightly
open source*.

That doesn't mean its evil or anything, and obviously some people like it.
But it's *not* open source or free software at all.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>