Re: any reason for things SMP on a single processor

On Saturday 18 June 2005 1:04 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 18.06.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 18:51:
>.............. you say that I 'may' want to
> > use this kernel. What considerations should govern this decision, or is
> > there a page that discusses this more in depth that you can refer me to?
>
> Here I am :)

good ;-)

> I said "may" because it should not sound as a general recommendation to
> use the Hyperthreading mode of your processor. In many cases
> Hyperthreading (virtually 2 CPUs while being physically 1 single CPU
> core) can improve the operation speed. If running several applications
> in parallel you can have the feeling that applications react more
> smoothly. On the other hand I remember reports where active
> Hyperthreading reduced the CPU operation speed over all. So it depends
> on what you are doing in specific with your system.

Under another cap, I'm a video editor on a Windows platform, and the same
considerations have been discussed in depth relating to the editing package I
use - in fact, it was recommended that hyper-threading be turned off for this
particular workstation.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA