Re: Is it worth installing FC4?

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:45:21 +0100
Pedro Lobo <palobo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all, I want to install linux on an extra PC that I have in order to
> learn  I already have FC3 but then read the news about FC4 coming out
> and held out  on installing until I got FC4. I have however read that
> many have problems  and complaints about FC4.

If you haven't already installed anything, then why NOT install FC4?
(Unless the problems and complaints are for the same kind of machine that
you have, and those complaints weren't equally valid for FC3).  You don't
have a thing to lose if FC4 doesn't work out for you.

If, on the other hand, you already had a nice, running FC3 machine that
you've tweaked to your liking - then there's no good reason to install
FC4.  This is more/less my situation.  If FC3 ain't broke, then I ain't
spending a bunch of time fixing the SAME problems for FC4 that I already
solved under FC3.  And with the reported problems with X on Intel video
cards (my primary work machine is a laptop with an 855 video chip), I
would probably be entering a whole new world of pain by installing FC4.
And pain is for Windows XP users. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/