Re: var drive

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 13:44 -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> This will tell you what directories are using the space.  You can then
> cd into the largest directory and run the du command again, etc.  I'd
> say Paul is probably right in suspecting that you have a bunch of yum
> update packages lying around in /var/cache/yum/  Try the "yum clean
> packages" command and check you disk usage again.  If it's not that,
> make sure you don't have some log file with an enormous number of
> messages (/var/log/).

If, however, the used disk space is really unaccounted for (not used by
any file that is linked in any directory), the space might be used by
unlinked files whose inodes and associated disk blocks haven't been
released yet (because some process still has them open).

For example, you won't recover disk space by deleting a huge log file
that is still open by the process that's writing to it (you *can*
however truncate the file using "cat /dev/null > file" and regain disk
space).

To see which processes have any stakes in /var you could use lsof
(though in the case of /var it may not be very helpful because this can
be *a lot* of processes).

Anyway, a clean shutdown (if possible) will definitely fix this sort of
situation. If not, force an fsck.

Cheers
Steffen.