Re: var drive

On 5/20/05, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
> > I am having some partition problems and I'm not sure what the cause
> > is. When I check the "properties" of the /var folder through the file
> > browser it tells me there's 123MB in use and 21MB free of disc space.
> > It says it is using volume /var (which is a partition of my hard
> > drive.) I know I made the var partition bigger than that so I checked
> > my resource manager and it says that the /var drive is 1.8GB out of
> > 1.9GB in use. This would account for the approximately 21MB of free
> > disc space, but where did the 1.7 or so GB of information come from?
> >
> > The problem is I have 1.7 GB of disc space on my /var partition not
> > accounted for and I am not sure how I clean it off. Could programs
> > have been installed there and I just can't find them? I have no clue
> > how to fix this problem and it's making it impossible to download and
> > install updates on my computer.
> >
> > Help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> How about posting the actual output of "df -h", "fdisk -l", and
> "vgdisplay -v"?
>
> Do you periodically run "yum clean packages"?
>
> Paul.

Yes, command line programs are always better when trying to determine
disk usage and other such things.  At the very least, more people here
are familiar with exactly what the output means.
Also try this as root (to avoid error messages):
cd /var
du -hs *

This will tell you what directories are using the space.  You can then
cd into the largest directory and run the du command again, etc.  I'd
say Paul is probably right in suspecting that you have a bunch of yum
update packages lying around in /var/cache/yum/  Try the "yum clean
packages" command and check you disk usage again.  If it's not that,
make sure you don't have some log file with an enormous number of
messages (/var/log/).

Jonathan