Re: Load balanced, failover internet connections

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 19:45 -0700, Aaron O'Hara wrote:
> I'm referring to an environment where an office has 1 FC Firewall with 2
> different ISPs providing internet access.  While both are up, utilize
> both (perhaps with a preference to one if there are different caps),
> when one goes down, use the one that's up.
>
> -- Aaron
>
> On Sun, 2005-22-05 at 09:28 +0800, Lai Zit Seng wrote:
> > Are you referring to having highly-available network access to your single
> > FC2/3 box?
> >
> > I suppose in that case you should at least be looking at having at least
> > two network links to two different network switches in the same logical
> > network, and have both ports run together as a bridge.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > .lzs
> > --
> > Lai Zit Seng
> > http://thinkingfarm.com/~lzs/
> >
> > On Sat, 21 May 2005, Aaron O'Hara wrote:
> >
> > > What scripts/urls are you using to have load balanced, failover ready
> > > internet connections on single FC2/3 box?
> > >
> > > I've only seen a couple simple load balancing routing table howto's.

You could add a second default route to your second ISP with a metric
larger than 0.  This would make this route less preferred than the first
default route.

I did a quick scan of /etc/sysconfig/network*, but did not see any
provisions for a second default gateway.  A simple solution might be to
add your second default route in /etc/rc.local (man route).

Bob...