cdrecord can't burn CD using FC3 yet

The drive is correctly detected but cdrecord appears to be being blocked from opening up the scsi driver. cdrecord -scanbus did produce mostly correct results. In earlier versions theiomega 250MB zip disk drive was also detected along with the cdrom and cd burner drives. Now the zip drive is no longer detected even though I have it loaded and am accessing it. Running the script in the cd-writing-howto to create devices gets some nasty audit messages back even for root user and devices can't be created and this is even with hal and stuff hal uses turned off. That same behavior is what gave me the idea to turn hal and associates off in the first place but hal isn't responsible for this.