Compaq Presario and NVIDIA 7174

Hi All,

I have a Compaq Presario R3000 laptop which is an AMD 64 3400+ with a GeForce
440 GO 64mb video card.  I have tried a number of times installing either the
nvidia package from livna or the  package from NVIDIA with the same results.
On successful installation of the video drivers from either source, the
screen has a 1/2 inch vertical black bar on the right hand side followed by a
1/4 inch vertical bar of desktop followed by a vertical black bar approx 1
1/2 inches in width.  The whole desktop looks to be shifted to the left and
there is about a 3/4 inch of really weird stuff horizontally across the
bottom of my screen.

I was hoping someone on this list would have a reasonable facsimile type
laptop and have successfully installed the drivers resulting in a "proper"
display of the gui (KDE in my case) and would like to share their solution
with me.

Thanks in advance,

Phil