Re: Trouble with fedora

Ken Cooper wrote:

Well, our cases are almost the same, and I believe the only difference is the motherboard. Well, I have a soyo, and he doesn't. I don't know which he has. I know that does make a big difference. I just have to guess it's the motherboard that's faulty, and will have to get a new one unfortunately!!!

   Ken Cooper

David Curry wrote:

Ken, you wrote earlier that your Dad's machine was "almost" identical" to your own, but did not elaborate as to how they differed.
Do the two machines have the same bios version?

Ken, please follow a few list guidelines. Insert your comments immediately following the remarks you are responding to while deleting text which is not needed to preserve thread context. That is, please do not top post.

In reading this message, keep in mind that I am an enduser with quite limited understanding of linux and of hardware issues.

Your original message asserted that you know that your boot difficulties are not related to the video card so I assume that both your machine and your Dad's have identical video cards installed. One possibile explanation for your problem is that the video card memory on your system has failed. Another might be that your mobo (motherboard) has onboard video, in which case you could try two different approaches.

Since you installed FC3 on your harddisk using your Dad's machine and then ported that hd to your machine, the easiest and quickest approach might be to disable the onboard video through your bios settings. Alternatively, you could leave the bios alone, remove the video card from your system and try reinstalling FC3 using the mobo video. This latter case would also address the situation of bad video card memory.