Re: free up some disk space

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 07:10:28PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Well, according to df I have used up about 7 of the 8 gigs I have
> allocated to linux on my disk. I don't have any more to allocate from
> the windows partion, so I ask what can I erase to free up some space.
>
> My /home directory takes up about 700 megs, even though when I add up
> all the unhidden files, I only get up to about 200 megs. I have half a
> gig in hidden files?!? How can I  figure out where the bloat is and
> get rid of it?
>
> And that means that my fedora installation, with no servers, is over 6 gigs?
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Dotan,
Please post the output of the "df -h" command:

This will tell us (and you) how much disk space is used up on each
partition of your linux system.

Another command to post the result of is the du command:
"cd /; du -shal *"

(both should be done as "root")

This second command will give you the sizes of things like tmp, var and
usr.  Most of the space used is probably in your "usr" hierarchy.

Its probably not bloat, but you may have installed things you don't
really need.  I have been able to get an FC2 install to fit on a
"mere" 3.2 GB system but it wasn't an "everything" install.

--
"The only system which is truly secure, is one which is switched off
and unplugged, locked in a titanium lined safe, buried in a concrete

http://kinz.org
http://www.fedoranews.org